Sunday 5 May 2013

Homemade Energy Bites


HOMEMADE ENERGY BITES




This is a recipe  that I adapted for my own purpose,  so that when I am out on a ride and my energy levels are dropping, I always have something to give me a lift and keep me going.  These are  also quite moreish and great to eat just as a snack

This is a recipe  that I adapted for my own purpose,  so that when I am out on a ride and my energy levels are dropping, I always have something to give me a lift and keep me going.  These are  also quite moreish and great to eat just as a snack

INGREDIENTS

1/2 CUP JUMBO OATS
1/3 CUP ROLLED OATS
1/3 CUP GOLDEN LINSEED
7 PITTED PRUNES
7 PITTED DATES
75ML FRUIT JUICE
75 GRAMS HANDFUL OF MIXED SEEDS
75 GRAMS OF ANY TYPE OF UNSALTED NUTS
1 TABLE SPOON PEANUT BUTTER
1 HANDFUL DRIED CRANBERRIES
1 HANDFUL OF SULTANAS OR RAISINS
2 TABLE SPOONS OF HONEY
1/2 CUP OF PUFFED RICE
1/2 CUP OF GRANOLA OR OTHER TYPE OF CEREAL 
40 GRAMS OF WHITE OR DARK CHOCOLATE FINELY CHOPPED 
1 x 200 GRAM BAR OF MILK CHOCOLATE

1-2  mini cupcake trays. You will need about 30 cake moulds.   silicone cases are better as you can press them out quite easily

METHOD

  1. chop your prunes and or dates into a small sauce pan & add 75ml of apple juice.   simmer for a few mins until the fruit is softer.
  2. Remove form the heat  and add peanut butter, honey and linseed. Mash this up with a fork to create a paste.
  3. In a large mixing bowl add your jumbo oats, rolled oats, cranberries, sultanas  chopped chocolate, puffed rice and granola.
  4. Add your prune & date paste to your dry mixture and combine together with a large spoon.
  5. In a separate bowl, break up your milk chocolate into  another large microwave proof bowl.  Melt your chocolate on 50% heat setting for approx 4-5 mins, stirring half way through.
  6. Add the oat and nut  and seed mixture to the melted chocolate and combine together with a large spoon.
  7. Spoon the mixture in to your cup cake tray and press down with a spoon or knife so that each case is tightly packed with the mixture. and refrigerate until set semi firm


Makes approx 30 Energy Bites
It takes approx 30 mins to make these & 1-2 hours for them to set in your fridge.
These will last for up to 2 weeks when kept in an airtight container in your fridge.

Please feel free to use, copy, adapt and share
ENJOY AND ENERGISE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment